Mo’ Motion is including in its emergency action plan starting in November 2015 the protocol for handling concussions.
• Helmets (football) or headbands (soccer) are not required for basketball. Mo’ Motion does believe that mouth guards can help mitigate damage in cases of body-head collisions and hits to the floor. Mo’ Motion also mandates knee pads as a preventive measure.
• Coaches are told to immediately remove from practice or a game a player who appears to have suffered a head injury or a concussion.
• Mo’ Motion coaches, parents and staff are expected to review this Concussion Prevention website. This site provides fact sheets for coaches, parents and athletes as well as a clipboard with concussion facts.
• Mo’ Motion enforces a return-to-play policy. This policy requires any player who has sustained a head injury or who is suspected of having sustained a head injury to:
- Visit a licensed health care professional for evaluation and clearance, AND
- Sign (for youth players, have parent/legal guardian sign) a head injury information/awareness sheet before returning to practice or game play.